Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I'm learning how to poach eggs


Went to Bakerz Inn yesterday for lunch. The dish that I love has been removed from their new menu. I can't really remember what it was called but it has sauteed mushrooms and greens on a buttery toast. Finally, it is topped with a poached egg. Simply wonderful dish. We had the famous warm chocolate cake. Yummy! =)

I bought some eggs from the supermarket just now and I'm going to try to poach some eggs for breakfast. I searched the Net and this is what I have learnt:

First, In a saucepan , bring 2 to 3 inches of water to a boil. Reduce the heat to keep the liquid gently simmering. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a saucer. Holding the dish close to the liquid's surface, slip in the eggs. One thing to remember, when poaching eggs is not to drop them very hard into the water or they will break up; have to be very careful not to break the egg yolks.

Secondly, let the eggs cook in the liquid until the egg whites are completely set and the yolks begin to thicken. Then lift out the eggs with a slotted spoon. Drain the eggs in the spoon or on paper towels.

Finally, trim any rough edges and serve. =)

No comments: