Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thailand (Bangkok)


The King's birthday celebration light-up (bangkok) Posted by Picasa

DAY ONE
Arrived in Thailand (Bangkok) in the evening. Headed down to the hotel and the first thing on our minds is DINNER! Yes.. Yes.. It sure feels good to be back here again. It has been a good 3 years since the last time I was here. We set off for Khao San Road. The traffic jam was a killer. They are in preparation for The King's birthday. The streets were lined with pots of fresh flowers and lights galore.

Sweetie recommended a good place for dinner so we walked Khao San Road, hunting for it. I had my favourite Thai Iced Tea. We had the usual local delights like the Tom Yum Soup. Had a great dinner.. It poured all of a sudden and shops were starting to close as it was almost 11pm. We recce for tour packages to Koh Phagnan or Koh Samui. It would cost both of us about $700 to fly to Koh Samui by Bangkok Airways, excluding the ferry and accommodation in Koh Phagnan. So we headed back to hotel to plan.

The first night out, I got to know this local guy, Ning, who sells vintage clothing. His eccentric and enthusiastic ways were just so communicable. Initially, he thought I was Japanese cos he gets a lot of Japanese girls coming to his store to buy his vintage stuff. It was amusing, buying stuff from him. When he found out I am from Singapore, he animatedly expressed his deep interest to visit our small island… “I hear.. people.. say.. water.. man…out.. mouth.. I want to go.. I like see..” Okay, dude..… What in god’s name was that all about? About all that charade, I figured he was talking about the Merlion.. Geezz.. Hehehe…

DAY TWO

We woke up early and had our breakfast at the poolside. The selection of their buffet was limited, consisting of porky stuff like ham, bacon and pork sausages. Sweetie and I were left with only so little to choose from. This is something I realised; the street stalls sell a lot of pork too. The only food available that we could eat was actually pretty much the seafood. I have no complaints. It just that I miss chicken, which is sort of like a staple meat selection at home for me cos my maid cooks basically chicken, fish and vegetables all the time.

After going to the different shopping areas like MBK, Siam Square, Patpong, Pratunam Market, we realised the shopping here is just madness. The local designers kick ass.. We eventually booked a package to Pattaya for three days and two nights, as recommended by the tour agent. We both have never been there so we decided to heck it and go.. It is a two hour bus ride there from Bangkok. Yes…Yes.. The beach and the sun!!! We leave at 11.30am the next day..

No comments: