Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Great Spy Experiment played at Zouk on 26 October 2005

SOUNDCHECK
It has been quite a journey preparing for the PowerJam Finals. We had hiccups in the midst of preparation. First, we have our great leader (Saiful) falling ill and then followed by Sweetie. Our wait came to an end last night. We had a soundcheck at 2.50pm. We didn't start doing soundcheck until half past 3. Actually, come to think of it, we didn't actually do a proper soundcheck due to the tight schedule and the delay of the setting up of the equipment by the soundmen.. Such a bummer.. That's what one get for been first to go. We basically tested the sound equipment for the other bands. We only got to leave Zouk at about 4.30pm. Sweetie stayed home to rest and Song replaced him, as the stand-in bassist for the soundcheck. We prayed hard that he will get better to be able to play at the finals later in the evening. After soundcheck, I rushed to pick up Sweetie's jeans that was sent for alteration. Then I rushed home to change. Sweetie didn't look too well but he persisted and we made our way down to Zouk.

FINALS
There was already a queue when we arrived at Zouk. Sweetie's condition took a turn for the worse when we were supposed to get ready to play. It was a blessing that Dino was there to send him to the doctor. Thank you so..... very much, Dino. Really don't know what I would do without you been there. I wish I was the one who had accompanied him though. The show must go on, with already one member down. Song stood in for Sweetie. I was lost and worried sick. My phone had to die on me, at a time like this. Sheesh.. Sweetie and I had been looking forward to playing together at Zouk and today it was the band up there, without him..

All 5 bands rocked Zouk last night. Syne of Tyme did an awesome job as the first band to play. They worked the crowd and made the way for the other bands. We were the fourth band to play, all thanks to them, agreeing to switch slots with us, so that we could get Song ready to play. Backstage, Song sat at a corner, listening to The Killer's song from my iPod. I sat there, nervous... worried... anxious... Monofone was good. But like what Sweetie said, the winning places were already pre-decided. Before we came on, Ros from Halfestride came over to me and gave me a bear hug, literally, for luck. Hmm.. that helped alittle.

We kicked ass on stage though we had no special costumes or stage gimmicks.. We played as ourselves.. The whole band gave all that we had on stage.. We were awesome. After our set, I had people, that I have never seen in my life, coming up to me, telling me that they love our set. It was so surreal. We came in fourth. But we were winners in our own right.. Kudos.. We will continue to kick ass.. The adrenaline rush of performing infront of the masses at Zouk and with Sweetie at the doc’s took a toll on me.. My body began to “auto shut down”....

CLOSING
After the announcement of the winner, I rushed to where Sweetie was. Dino was with him. He looked so much better. I had not eaten the whole day but yet, didn’t feel any spasm of hunger. The three of us made our way to Arab Street for dinner. I was so not feeling well.. my migraine.. I was having a fever.. I felt weak.. I have been ill.. Me holding up for the finals and Sweetie. Finally.. my body is shutting down, slowly but surely....

THE MORNING AFTER
I went to see the doctor. The appointment that I have pushed back till after the finals.. Sweetie was with me.. I took my X-ray and lab test.. I have been scheduled for biopsy.. I am really ill.. and I am really scared..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mag, congrats on your splendid performance @ Zouk. I wished I could be there to see you rock on the stage. Hey, do take care of yourself and let me know of the outcome of your lab test etc ya. I will pray for you to get well and be in the pink of health again!
Love, BB

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »