Friday, March 17, 2017

Independence.. A gift or a downfall.. (A draft left sitting in my draft box for 9 years)

Over the year, through the many challenges life has presented to me, I have grown a strong sense of independence; not some form of training I went into willingly. It was more like I had no choice but to grow up faster than my friends around me.

I fell ill recently and flashbacks of all the other moments when I was ill came rushing to me. I guess I had too much time on hand, lying in bed all day. And these are the flashbacks:

Melvyn (1994) - I went to a chalet to spend a weekend with my friends. We had arranged for him to pick me up at Pasir Ris on a Sunday. That Sunday, I felt unwell when I woke up but did not think much of it. He was sitting at the bus stop with that big smile of his when I came out of the chalet. He came over, took my bags and hugged me. "Maggie Baby, why are you so warm?" was the first thing he said. We took a cab and rushed back to my place. By the time we got back to my place, I was too weak and too much in pain to walk. He panicked and carried me to the clinic. My temperature at the clinic was almost 40. He brought me home and then went out to get me a bowl of porridge. Nobody was at home at that time. He insistently fed me the porridge regardless of my protest. He sat beside my bed, picked up his guitar and started singing me to sleep. The next morning, I woke up and found him, sitting and sleeping at the exact position, hugging his guitar. I was 17.

Keefe (1999) - I had a freak accident and a mirror came crashing on me. I wasn't badly hurt but was left with tiny pieces of glass embedded into my skin. He panicked, ran to the nearest pharmacy in the rain, came back drenched with all the bandages and plasters he could find. As it was New Year's Eve and I had a party to go, he followed me to my friend's private party and stood outside the glass door, taking brief glances at me every once in a while to check if I was all right. After the party, he sent me home, reapplied the bandages and medication for me, tucked me in and left. I was 22.

Robin (2003) - I had high fever and he spent the whole night, sponging me with iced water, in hope of bringing my fever down. I was 26.

To all these men in my life, I thank you for been there for me.

No comments: