Sunday, February 25, 2007

Good Vibrations 2007 @ Fort Canning Park








Good Vibrations happened on the second day of Chinese New Year. All of us looked forward to the event, in a rather relaxed mood, knowing that we won't have to go back to work the day after the event. The weather didn't hold up in the earlier part of the event. Sweetie and I got there just in time to watch 'I am David Sparkle'. We watched their set, under an umbrella, in the drizzle. We headed to the merchandise store.
We caught Cutcopy's set after dinner. They weren't brilliant during their set at the event but with better sounds from the audio systems, they might have sounded better. Their songs got alittle too predictable after a while and there weren't much stage presence.
Jurassic 5. The guys I have longed to watch. When I heard Beastie Boys and Jurassic 5 are playing at this event, I almost fainted. I listened to their stuff two years back and I digged what I heard. Due to the faulty audio systems, Jurassic 5 took an hour to appear on stage and their set was cut short. Jurassic 5 has earned themselves to be an awesome and incredible live act. The faulty sound systems obviously didn't do them any justice. Within that short set of theirs, they did manage to do some songs from their latest album, Feedback.
Beastie Boys was up next after Jurassic 5. It was midnight when they came on stage. Their set would definitely be one of the most memorable set I watched in 2007. The Beastie Boys, known for performing in matching suits, awed the crowd with their energy, stage antics and their selection of songs, with songs even from their early year's Ill Communication album, showing us the punk band origin. They greeted the crowd with 'Intergalactic' in their enchored set. I remember the music video of 'Intergalactic' in which a giant robot goes into battle with a giant squid. Heh. The crowd went mad with their last song, 'Sabotage'. I moshed with the crowd, not feeling any pain at all, when I had people hitting me in the head when they jumped and people stepping on my toes when they landed on the ground. All in the name of good music. I left the event with 'Brass Monkey' stuck in my head. ... "Brass Monkey, that funky Monkey... Brass Monkey, junkie... That funky Monkey..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A

Anonymous said...

Hi there Mag,

I had the opportune chance to visit your blog when I was reading up on lymphoma. Just wanted to tell you that you struck me as person with lots of strength and energy, and I was really awed and impressed to find you contiuning to lead a v.active and balanced life, even during those treatment days. U gave me insipiration and I draw energy from you as I go about with my daily life, (Im working in the financial sector).

I was watching news last week and I was thrilled to see GSE on interview (you have been invited to N.Y to perform, with just another band, something like that?). Wow, thats really a testament of your talents, and I wish you all every bit of success. Though Im not much into local band music, Im deeply touched by how you and your team's passion for music, the dedication, especially you, shows that nothing is insurmountable if you have that passion.
Please continue share your great wisdom and experiences, I cant get enough of it, haha, Enjoy..

Kevin Lim,