Level Two is when they start to know each other better. No more late night telephone conversations. One becomes so comfortable in the relationship and the passionate kisses become pecks. The long hours of embraces shrink into quick hugs. Here’s where reality kicks in. They realize their partner has flaws and by the way, everyone has flaws. I guess that’s what the saying ‘Love is blind’ means. The perfect picture they paint of each other gets a little distorted. This is where we start to see squabbles. “Why are you always making me wait? You weren’t like this last time. You changed.” “Why can’t you be more understanding? I have to work late and I swear I wasn’t out with anyone else.” “You promised to call but you didn’t!” It goes on and on, if you know what I mean. The most frequent complaint men have about women: Women are always trying to change them. The most frequent complaint women have about men: Men don't listen. Couples have to accept the fact that the differences are there, they are real, and they are not going away.
Level Three. Couples only get here after the ‘Make It or Break It’ stage and after all that mumbo-jumbo. The one reason why any couple is at this stage is that they still love love and are convicted of the love that endured Level Two. You remember that tingling feeling and breathlessness that made you yearn for that person the minute he or she went home.
Some people spent their lifetime looking for the right one to realize that it is not this lifetime that love comes looking for them. Our soulmates are not promised to be found in this lifetime. However, in that search, the only way to experience true failure is if one doesn't try, give up or try to hide behind excuses and justifications. It is bittersweet and it is definitely worth it if you reach this stage. However, nothing stays forever if you don’t work it. Relationships will always be intertwined with love, elation, joy, sorrow and pain. It is an on-going process so enjoy the ride, my friends.
And to my soulmate, I am thankful that I found you.

No comments:
Post a Comment